Every March, Operation Smile teams up with J&A Racing to host thousands of elementary school students from all over the Hampton Roads area, gathering at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront to run the final mile of the Shamrock Marathon.
The Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile is the culmination of an ongoing global education program and a running/walking program for elementary school children. By participating in the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile, students learn about the importance of developing lifelong fitness habits as well the impact they can have in bettering the lives of children who are growing up in developing countries with cleft conditions.
March 21, 2020
Operation Smile Student Programs will host a pre-race program and celebration
on the main stage in 31st Street Park from 9:45 – 10:00am
Runners will head to their corrals at 10:30am and the race will begin at 11:00am.
Operation Smile Student Programs is excited to continue our Smile Hero program at this year’s Final Mile!
- Every $240 that is raised during the Final Mile will fund a life-changing surgery for one child who is growing up in a developing country with a cleft condition.
- We would like to challenge every school to raise $240 per grade level.
- If your school is up top the challenge then we would like to give you 25 Smile Hero super hero capes that can be awarded to students in your school who embody the spirit of heroism!
- We have put a Smile Hero toolkit together that has some ideas your school can use to fundraise around the Final Mile. Please click here and take a look!
- Thank you so much for helping us get your school and your students involved in the mission of Operation Smile! Together, we can make a significant impact in the lives of countless children at this year’s Final Mile!
- The top five fundraising schools, who raise a minimum of $240 per grade level/$1200 as a school, will win either a freeze pop party or a pep rally with the Operation Smile Student Programs staff AND Batman and Iron Man!
To register for the race, please visit J&A’s registration page:
To make a donation and support a racer click here:
Do you have any questions about Operation Smile or the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile?
Would you like to schedule an Operation Smile visit to your school?
Would you like to arrange for your students to visit Operation Smile headquarters?
Please contact Pete Hansen:
Middle school and high school students please
Click Here To Volunteer!
Here are all of the kits, tools and resources that schools and Final Mile participants can use: